Pages

Sunday 3 June 2012

How Easy is it to Design Your Own Website?

I was in the offices of a local charity the other day and heard the CEO swearing at his computer.  This, I have to say, is not an uncommon occurrence.  He and computers seem to rub each other up the wrong way!  However, setting aside his mistrust of technology, he had recently been to a course on how to use WordPress to create a website.  The charity's website was long overdue for an overhaul and it seemed more sensible to spend the money on the course than on paying someone to design a new site.

Unfortunately, once back from the course, the CEO couldn't remember all the ins and outs of WordPress.  Things weren't appearing in the way that he wanted and, when I left the office, he was deep in pages and pages of notes, trying to find out what he'd done wrong.  I had been unable to offer any helpful suggestions, since I've never used WordPress.  I've looked at it once or twice but, to be honest, Blogger seems so much simpler for blogging and, for website design, I use SiteSpinner

I can't remember how I first discovered SiteSpinner . . . it was some six or seven years ago.  I used it to build my very first website and I've been using it ever since.  I suppose one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place was the price.  It was a fraction of the cost of DreamWeaver which was the software that, at the time, everyone seemed to be talking about.  And it seemed a lot simpler to use.

As time has gone one and I've built websites to replace those that have gone before, I've always found that SiteSpinner has met my needs.  I have been able to build sites from scratch, without having to worry about customising templates (which I rather think the charity's CEO was trying to do) and that suits me.  As a review on CNET says, SiteSpinner is "aimed at beginners, but with a variety of tools that will help them learn as they work. Its wide range of options is even capable of teaching professionals a few tricks."

So, since this blog is about what works and what doesn't, I definitely want to include SiteSpinner  in the "what works" category.  And if you're just about to embark on your first website, I'd recommend it.  I only wish I'd told the charity CEO about it before he went on his WordPress course!

No comments:

Post a Comment